While the nation is distracted by the allegations against Billy Gordon, former Labor MP for Cook, QLD – let’s have a conversation about Tony Abbott’s own very long history of violence against women and children, and anyone who he disagrees with. Perhaps that conversation could start with how a man with his very long history of violence against women and children could become not only Prime Minister, but the self-appointed Minister For Women.
The following are just a small selection of those incidents that are known publicly, and we have no idea of what has gone unreported by people too scared to speak out.
– Tony Abbott has admitted to assaulting his own children, and advocates for others to assault their children, ‘the best thing that we can give a kid is a smack‘ and that he did ‘chastise the children – with pretty gentle smacks‘ Abbott says. Source
– Tony Abbott once king hit / coward punched Joe Hockey so hard that Hockey was knocked out cold. Source
– Tony Abbott inappropriately touched a woman in Adelaide. In 2013, while Opposition leader, Abbott approached the award-winning author, Ali Cobby Eckermann and ‘without making eye contact inappropriately rubbed his finger up and down her bare arm‘. Source
– After being beaten by a woman for SRC presidency, the student Tony Abbott assault a young man, and violently intimidated the women who beat him, Ms Barbara Ramjan. Ms Ramjan is quoted as saying ‘He came up to within an inch of my nose and punched the wall on either side of my head. It was done to intimidate‘. Even though PM Abbott says he doesn’t remember it so it didn’t happen, those who have accused Ms Ramjan of lying have faced legal action and she has won every time.
The full description of those incidents can be found here – Source
– During the 2012 Queensland election, Opposition leader Tony Abbott threatened to take a baseball bat to the then Prime Julia Gillard. Abbott said that the voters of Queensland wanted to go after PM Julia Gillard. ‘Their baseball bats aren’t there for Anna Bligh, they’re there for this Prime Minister.’ Source
– Tony Abbott attempted an assault on a student Peter Woof, who says that an apparently agitated Tony Abbott without warning approached him and tried to hit him. Woof says ‘I don’t think he meant to connect… I had to duck‘. Source
– Abbott’s entourage had to intercede when an aggressive Tony Abbott was threatening Lindsay Foyle, part of the description of that incident, from Foyle says that Abbott ‘who at the time was threatening to punch my head in because I was not opposed to abortion. It was a serious incident and was witnessed by a number of journalists who were at the time working for The Bulletin.’ Source
– Tony Abbott threatened a legless Vietnam Veteran while he was in Parliament. Even veterans and politicians are subject to Tony Abbott’s threats, aggression and intimidation. Anthony Albanese who was a witness to this incident describes it ‘Abbott himself got his marching orders after moving in a threatening manner towards the Opposition benches, after Labor’s Graham Edwards, a legless Vietnam veteran had interjected ‘you’re a disgrace’.’ Source
– Tony Abbott in 2012, during Question Time, said that PM Julia Gillard and Labor MP Anthony Albanese were ‘walking around with targets on their foreheads‘. While it might be easy to dismiss this as a vague comment, it came only months after an incident in Arizona US, where Sarah Palin (or those on her behalf) drew up a map of the US with gunsight crosshairs targets on Palin’s political opponents, this was taken seriously by someone who shot Democrat Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in the head. Source
– Tony Abbott in 2009 said ‘I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated‘. Source
No, Tony, sex without consent is rape, sex against your will is rape, sex after you say NO is rape – it is not ‘give and take’.
– Tony Abbott in 2014 threatened assault against the President of another country. Abbott said ‘I’m going to shirtfront Mr Putin. You bet you are – you bet I am.’ For those who are unaware of what this AFL football term means, an internet search tells me it means: a brutal shoulder charge, but not a tackle, where a player bumps the chest of an opponent. Source
– Tony Abbott, as a 20-year-old student indecently assaulted another student with who he disagreed. The women who he assaulted was speaking at a public rally when, she says ‘I felt a hand between my legs on my lower buttocks. I was wearing jeans. I jumped back, turned around, and saw Tony Abbott laughing‘. Source
To this we could add Tony Abbott’s policies which have led to more violence – his policy of locking people in concentration-camp like off-shore detention centres where refugees have been murdered, his reduction of funding for family violence programmes, or his desire to send our military off to war, and as we know, war in the past has led to numerous deaths, as well as Abbott’s general hyper-masculine, win-at-all-cost, attitude that glorifies bullying and intimidation and is mimicked in the wider population.