The brother of an Iranian asylum seeker who was allegedly raped on Nauru has made a heartfelt plea to the government to reunite the woman, now in Australia, with her family.The asylum seeker, Nazanin, was allegedly attacked in May on her way back to the Nauru detention centre after a visit to the island to meet friends. She was flown to Australia in August for treatment.The man, who doesn’t want to be named, said his sister was bleeding in the stomach and was likely to undergo surgery on Monday.
“Emotionally she has completely deteriorated. She needs her family,” he said.
“She is not really OK. She is … completely scared and worried … because she is alone.
“Even for a normal girl when they have operation, the family is going to be beside [them] and supporting. How about a 23-year-old girl, brutally assaulted and raped, and two times tried to suicide.”
Her family had earlier said she had been on a hunger strike since the alleged attack and had attempted suicide twice, including by drinking insecticide.
While in Nauru, the woman was reportedly kept in a separate compound away from her family after the alleged assault.
The brother said being separated from her mother and brother made the situation worse.
“I am worried that she will lose herself mentally,” he said.
“Because we don’t know what is happening for her mentally and physically, the pressure won’t allow us to sleep for even one minute.”
Researchers Against Pacific Black Sites spokeswoman Janet Galbraith said her family should be brought to Australia.
“Her mother and brother remain in Nauru and must be brought to Australia to be with her,” Ms Galbraith said.
“[We] hold the Commonwealth government of Australia and the Department of Immigration and Border Protection responsible for the well-being of Nazanin’s family on Nauru, should there be any repercussions because of their speaking out.”
Greens’ immigration spokesperson, Senator Sarah Hanson-Young said she would write to Immigration Minister Paul Dutton asking him to bring the family to be at Nazanin’s side.
“Nazanin’s situation is extremely concerning,” Ms Hanson-Young said. “With her condition deteriorating in such a serious way … bringing her family to be with her is the very least we can do.”
Ms Hanson-Young said Australia had a duty of care to the young woman and her family. “She came to Australia asking for safety and, instead of protecting her, the Abbott government dumped her in harm’s way on Nauru.
“I have been speaking with the Immigration Department and have requested a visit with Nazanin as soon as possible.”
The Minister of Immigration Peter Dutton had not responded before the paper went to press on Sunday evening.